Monday, November 03, 2008

Mojave, part two - the revenge

I have been using Windows Mojave for over a month now so I have decided to post some more thoughts.

Wireless networking, well, networking in general, is annoying at times. Compared to Windows XP, Mojave looks like it tries to do too much to make wireless networking dumb-ass proof. I usually end up doing a reboot after switching wireless networks because when I undock (from a wired connection) the wireless connection at work picks up if I’m lucky or when I get home the connection is strong but doesn’t always connect or connects for a moment or two then disconnects. It might be Dell because I’ve never had a problem with an IBM laptop.

Most of the problems with Windows Mojave have been with non Microsoft software. Symantec has an issue with correctly going into sleep mode, causing the battery to drain completely when you least expect it. Oracle’s Developer Tools for Visual Studio do not work out of the box. Then again, if Visual Studio was a 64 bit application, things might be different. Video and audio CODEC support in 64 bit mode is provided by someone outside of Microsoft and Media Player 32-bit is the default player, not the 64-bit one.

I think what annoys me the most about Mojave is that it just isn’t necessary. I was reading a magazine in the can the other day and one guy was suggesting that businesses start adopting Mojave because people are going to be wanting widgets for the side-bar. Really? That’s why I should upgrade hardware and operating systems, because people will be wanting sidebar widgets. How about some freakin’ software that works? How about 64 bit versions of some software? It has been how many years since 64 bit on the desktop was a reality? Some programs are not Mojave capable. How hard is it to make a program Mojave compatible? Some programs only work when run as administrator; why would a semi-thin client require administrator rights to work? Stupid.

My current impression of Mojave hasn’t changed much. It is a nice looking operating system and there are some things in the start menu that I like (like how you can type in the name of a program or control panel setting and it will filter the lists immediately for you, helps when you don’t have a mouse). Then again, everything I can do for this blog, my stories, and work can be done in Windows XP on a machine with a fourth the horsepower.

No comments: