Monday, January 12, 2009

Project: Oracle 11g on Linux

I recently found some inner motivation to go back an restart some personal computing projects at home. Maybe it was the time off from work today or I was tired of looking at high powered machines collecting cat litter dust. I'll keep this main post then add comments as I go. When I get something worth consolidating I'll repost

The Project

Install 64 bit Oracle 11g database on Linux. Get working two working installations: one with and then one without Automatic Storage Management (ASM). Learn ASM and Recovery Manager (RMAN).

The Hardware and Software

The project machine:

  • AMD 64 X2 3800+ CPU
  • 4 x 1 GB DDR2 RAM (4 GB total)
  • 4 x Seagate ST380013AS 80GB SATA150 drives
  • a Seagate ST3400633A 400GB ATA drive in an external USB enclosure.

I chose openSUSE 11.1 64bit as the operating system because SUSE Linux is one of the distributions supported by Oracle and their Oracle on openSUSE document and accompanying PDF files seemed the most solid place to start.

Configuration

Oracle requires and/or recommends swap space equal to physical memory for installations with 2GB to 8GB of memory. I figured 4 SATA disks with 1GB swap files would be good. I did some research and there are too many arguments for and against multiple small versus one large swap file; so I took the most painful route of four times the work. The rest of disk one is root which will contain /opt and /u01 for software and initial databases. For the first round I used the rest of the disk space for /u02, /u03 and /u04.

1 comment:

Grouchy said...

Well that didn't start well. The openSUSE DVD would not install. Sad, really. I was desperate to get something up and working so I shoved a Kubuntu 8.04 64bit Disktop disk in and completed the installation and updates a few moments ago.