Friday, June 19, 2009

Afternoon at the library

I really wish I knew how to use the 1.3 mega pixel camera on my netbook. I was at a public library today, killing an hour or two waiting until my sweetheart was off work. You know how libraries are supposed to be quiet places where people can read or study or blog without interruption and annoyance. Two problems with that.

The first is a teenage kid sitting about six feet from the sign clearly stating to refrain from using cellular phones and setting them to silent. He has been on the phone on the same call for fifty minutes while also playing on a Playstation portable. So it's "hmm. Yeah. Mumble mumble. Yeah. Umm. Mumble. The game... Yeah. Um. (voice on phone is louder than him at this point). Yeah. Yeah. Muh. Yeah. Mumble. Mumble. Broken English. Mumble. A'ight. Mumble. Yeah. Yeah. No. No. That wasn't me. Mumble. Mumble. She don't know. Laugh. Mumble. Ah yes. Yeah. No. Mumble. Mumble. Yeah. Uh huh. Nuh-huh. Yeah. Mumble mumble mumble. You get bored. Mumble. I can have that. Blah blah blah. Heh heh heh." over the clackity-clack of whatever he was playing.

Second was the one year old bouncing off everything like a pinball and squealing at the top of his/her lungs. There is no parental guidance to be found. The kid will make a pretty good running back when he or she grows up.

"Mumble. Yeah. A'ight. I just wanna go. Yeah. Yeah. Mumble mumble. Yeah. Umm. Mumble. Yeah. Um. No. Yeah. Yeah. Muh. Yeah. Mumble. Mumble. Broken English. Mumble. A'ight. Mumble. Yeah. Yeah. No. No. That wasn't me. Mumble. Mumble. Whatever she do is okay. Mumble. Yeah."

I am wondering to myself. If I grab the lamp next to me and proceed to bash this individual's skull in would a) the police be called and I hauled off to jail for murder, b) I be loudly applauded until the librarian shushes everyone, or c) I silence the entire building. I can live with the last two. So those odds are 66/33 that I will be in a happier state after clubbing this dude. Tempting.

Finally. After the 64 minute mark the douche bag with the phone hung up and left. The child is getting tired and cranky but quieter if you can believe that.

1 comment:

STAR said...

Gahanna branch has what I call The Cone of Silence. basically a separate room with a door that no noise is allowed. Makes for a peaceful work environment.