Friday, June 05, 2009

Grouchy gripe day today

I have a couple things I would like to get off my chest this morning.

One. I cannot stand the pseudo techno-intellectuals that make statements based on superior hardware and then assume everything applies downward. Windows 7 runs great on my Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition with 12 GB of DDR3 1866 memory and two Western Digital Raptors in a RAID 0 configuration. No ****? Startup time is fantastic. Well, it should be. You have hardware that God has to wait in line for and everything runs smooth and performance is fantastic. Just because your newest version of Windows or Linux runs incredibly fast on your mega box it does not mean it will perform just as well on a more standard machine given a one or two year upgrade time frame.

Two, I cannot stand web sites that cram every unnecessary Web 2.0 component on their home pages. What works well on your developer workstation with its Core 2 Quad Extreme with 16GB of memory might not work as well on my AMD 754 socket processor and 1 GB of memory or my netbook with its hamster sized screen, Atom processor and 2GB of memory. I just drug my parents kicking and screaming out of the Windows 98 world where processors were named by number and their megahertz clock speed into the land of Windows XP and processors named after sissy, woodland creatures. They do not give a rat's ass if your tag cloud rotates or if that multi-gigabyte, centralized news / ad / feature thing in the middle of your page looks good. They would be more interested in a dancing baby or Jesus.

Sorry. Today I offer zero solutions, only gripes.

No comments: