Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Upgrade time, mini rant

This is a little mini-rant. I was looking to upgrade my home workstation from an AMD X2 to a Phenom II quad-core and noticed there are six-core processors out now. I checked the Newegg reviews and had a laugh.

One purchaser had one of them with with 3TB of RAID10 and dual video cards and 8 GB of memory and the system can miraculously handle anything thrown at it. I would hope so. That system has more processing power than all the African nations that qualified for the World Cup it damn well be able to handle everything thrown at it.

Next you have the overclockers that are looking to squeeze that extra decimal out of their Windows 7 Ultimate score by running the processor with the fastest clock speed and the most cores beyond the unit specifications. It is a concept I just don't understand in the post-Celeron era of the 1990's. After the upgraded cooling the cost is more than the next step up in processors with stock equipment.

I priced out some configurations and folks are dropping anywhere from $1,300 to $2,400 every 3 or 4 months when new technology comes out. Where are they getting the money?

No comments: